Mid Week is for a fresh YUMM! We’re talking delicious thick Japanese udon noodles bathing in rich chicken broth surrounded by meaty shiitake mushrooms. This soup is light enough for a Summer Mid Week YUMM but hearty enough to fill your tummy.
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) package fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups Chicken Stock or fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 6 (1/4-inch) slices peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 star anise
- 6 ounces dried udon noodles (thick Japanese wheat noodles)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup sake (rice wine) or sherry or dry white wine
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup diagonally cut green onions
Remove stems from mushrooms; reserve stems. Thinly slice mushroom caps; set aside. Combine mushroom stems, Chicken Stock, and next 4 ingredients (through star anise) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Strain stock through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids.
Cook udon noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well.
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add reserved sliced mushroom caps to pan, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add minced ginger and minced garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add sake, and cook for 4 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add stock to pan. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low. Add chicken, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, and salt; simmer for 2 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated. Divide noodles evenly among 4 bowls. Add 1 1/2 cups soup to each bowl. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions. (recipe: MyRecipes.com)
iTunes for Mid Week chill: