NoTakeout! Pizza, Pizza! Fridays are made for delicious pizza! Try this spicy and crunchy pizza with delicious and smooth sauce for your Friday NoTakeout night and have fun with the toppings!
- 1 (28-oz.) can unsalted whole peeled tomatoes
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon crushed Aleppo pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon plain yellow cornmeal
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen thawed prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
- 4 ounces small fresh mozzarella cheese balls (bocconcini)
- 1 ounce coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives
Place a pizza stone or baking sheet on center rack in oven; preheat oven to 450°F. (Leave stone in to preheat.)
- Pour tomatoes into a colander set over a large bowl; squeeze and break into chunks. Reserve liquid for another use. Stir together tomato chunks, salt, 1/4 cup basil, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper in a bowl.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on a piece of parchment paper. Roll pizza dough on cornmeal into a 14- x 8-inch rectangle or a 12-inch circle. Spread tomato mixture over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with cheese balls and olives. Leaving pizza on parchment paper, place onto hot pizza stone. Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes or until crust is done and cheese is bubbly. Brush edges of crust with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil and remaining Aleppo pepper. Cut into 8 slices. (recipe: MyRecipes.com)