NoTakeout! Yummy Roasted Chili Verde Chicken Enchiladas! We are forgoing the red enchilada sauce and opting for some homemade chili verde. Skip the takeout like and head to the grocery! Healthy and über tasty!
- Cooking spray
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
- 4 poblano chiles, halved lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (about 4 lb.)
- 16 (6-in.) corn tortillas
- 6 ounces reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Place tomatillos, poblanos, onion, and garlic on prepared baking sheet. Broil for 12 minutes, turning vegetables after 6 minutes, until well charred. Let stand 5 minutes. Scrape mixture and any accumulated juices into a blender. Add cilantro leaves and stems, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper; process until smooth.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Place chicken in a single layer in Dutch oven, meaty sides down. Cook until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Pour tomatillo mixture into Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Cook until sauce thickens slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Return chicken to Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°F, 12 to 15 minutes. Place chicken on a plate; let stand 5 minutes. Set aside 2 cups tomatillo mixture. Shred chicken and return to Dutch oven; discard bones. Toss meat to coat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 (11- x 7-inch) baking dishes with cooking spray. Spread 1/4 cup reserved tomatillo mixture in the bottom of each dish. Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla; fold into thirds, and arrange in dishes (8 enchiladas in each). Spread 3/4 cup reserved tomatillo mixture over enchiladas in each dish. Sprinkle each with 3/4 cup cheese. Coat 2 pieces of aluminum foil with cooking spray, and cover each dish. Follow freezing directions, or continue to step (recipe: MyRecipes.com)
Some Haute iTunes for your Lit Friday Night